My name is Cheyenne La Vallee. I am a Skwxwú7mesh-Kwakwaka’wakw youth from British Columbia. I have been raised in the Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) community of Xwmelch’stn (Capilano) in North Vancouver, but my ancestry also comes from the Kwakwaka’wakw nation on northern Vancouver Island. For the past year, I’ve been working with my brother, sister and other community members to revive our culture, our language and traditions. Specifically the work I’ve been doing involves urban agriculture, community gardens and traditional plant knowledge.
- RT @Botanygeek: Studying the genes of sweet potatoes shows Pacific Islanders visited The Americas at least 500 years before Columbus. What… 1 week ago
- RT @eveewing: So you know how when some of these heralded men are shown to be harassers & fired, people mourn the loss of their genius? Ca… 2 months ago
- RT @B_Ehrenreich: The lesson of the sexual harassment crisis isn’t just about male lust, but about the totalitarian nature of the American… 2 months ago
- RT @TrilbySmith: Anyone who works with kids in care should watch this & read the paper - critical info on adolescent brain development @Fos… 2 months ago
- RT @christibelcourt: Over 40,000 Indigenous kids in child welfare right now. At what point do we call child welfare a crisis? When there ar… 2 months ago